Faith

Friday, September 5, 2008 |

I am a Christian…to be precise catholic.

I am a christian not just by birth but as a believer in the essence of christianity. But unlike most other “christians” you see, I follow alternative christianity of my own. That doesn’t mean I follow a “Church of XYZ”or some faith group or a secret Jesus society. I simply have my own interpretation of being a righteous christian. For non-christians what you think of as a righteous man is same as a righteous christian would be.

Why?

I am fed up with the stereotyped people I see around... I know many regular church goers even close friends and relatives who miss the whole point of being a christian. There are too many psuedo’s out there who makes me ponder why.

After listening to a sermon in which the Lord asks us to help others unselfishly, I see folks just out of the church doing exactly the opposite things in their routine lives.. Why do people who say Amen to the all the good things told in the church become complete different people when they are out? People who advocate forgiveness and love are selective and discriminatory about whom they could forgive or love…Sad people we are.

Agreed being selfish is a trait which we were born with but something which we could negate by doing selfless deeds .Of course not getting angry maybe humanely impossible but asking forgiveness is still an option out there. You will give money to your relation when he needs it but what about giving it to some poor man whom you never gonna meet again? At times I even wonder whether our priests have forgotten the language of love and sacrifice, they seem more to speak in donations and funds.

Last week I met a girl who asked me why I don’t join them at a place where they have a sermon for young people...She said I ll enjoy being there with lively music and lots of fun. I would have succumbed to such an offer a few years ago..
I agree that we have to praise lord and thank him for all the good things he has done for us…But I also believe that there are better ways to do that than huddle in a group and keep singing all day...What’s the whole point if you can’t do anything for real but just sing a few hymns?

I am seeing too many pseudos in everyday life…Guys who pretend to be fair and trying to justify their wrong doings. Whom are they trying to prove with all the rhetoric?

It was funny last week when one visitor at the missionaries of charity asked one of the sisters...

“Do you do counseling for the people who come here?”

People don’t realize that these sisters are not professional counselors...the only thing they know is to feed the poor…heal the sick… love unconditionally. Something that most people don’t know how …

I look up to them to understand and strengthen my faith. True Christianity is not about getting other people converted to the faith…True Christianity is not about shouting out loud that we are the blessed and chosen…True Christianity is not about just visiting the church coz everyone does.

Few weeks ago I got a very valuable gift from the sister’s…A small card with a prayer of Mother Teresa and a tiny piece of her cloth pinned to it. Apparently the sister’s told me that they have limited number of these cards with pieces of Mother’s belongings (her clothes) pinned to it as a reminder of her selfless deeds. They give these cards to only few people. And that day when I got one of those I felt so special for being considered as one of them.

3 comments:

Jen Kumar said...

Really enjoyed your post.
Your observations are true - I think for most places. I see this behavior in U.S. also. But, you are amazing because it seems you are seeing through all that 'materialism' and 'one up man ship' to what is true faith and love for god- which I think transcends beyond religions.

silverine said...

This post echoes my thoughts. I was telling this Australian Buddhist the other day about Christianity and I told her that it was a religion you made a conscious decision to follow and that you cannot be born into it. I told her that it was the most difficult religion to follow as its principles like turning the other cheek etc needed a lot of inner conviction and belief. She was amazed. I told her that after reading and understanding Christs teaching only can you decided if you want to follow Christianity as Christs earliest disciples made that conscious choice. So I am an alternate Christian like you. I like to go to Church and attend Mass as I feel that community worship is a great feeling. But I will never tell anyone that he or she is going to hell if they don't go to Church. Christianity cannot be enforced. It is a choice.

Nice post! Helped me vent some.

mensch said...

@Silverine
hmm..in essence buddhism is same as christianity..and all religions are tough to follow..most people just ignore the part which is 'tough to follow'...

I like to go to church as well..but most of the time I prefer to go when church is empty...and yes community worship is a great feeling..what just belittles me sometimes is the internal politics and pseudos which disheartens me...

"Christianity cannot be enforced. It is a choice. " so true.